Monday to Friday – 9:30 AM to 4 PM
Alternate Saturdays – 9 AM to 12:30 PM (please call to find out)
By Appointment Only
Tel: (416) 461-9471
Mammography is an x-ray procedure and it therefore involves some exposure to radiation. However, the amount of radiation is extremely low. Be sure to tell your doctor if you suspect you might be pregnant or if you are breast-feeding.
During the test, you will be asked to remove clothing from the waist up. Your breasts are placed on the x-ray surface and a compression device is applied. This compression improves the quality of the x-ray and may cause some mild discomfort. (If you are experiencing breast tenderness you should speak to your doctor about postponing the procedure until this condition has subsided.) The technologist will take more than one view of each breast. After the image has been developed, the results are read by a radiologist specially trained in the interpretation of breast images.
After your test, the results will be read by our on-site radiologist and forwarded to your family doctor. If you have previously had a mammogram at the Albany, your new test result will generally be available to the ordering physician within a week.
Please call X-Ray reception at 416-461-9471 to make an appointment.
What you need to do before your appointment:
- Bring your referral requisition and any documentation your family doctor gave you.
- Bring your provincial health card.
- Timing: If premenstrual breast tenderness occurs, schedule appointment right after menstrual period ends.
- Prior mammograms: Please inform us if you have had a previous mammogram. If it was performed elsewhere, if possible, please bring prior mammograms to your appointment.
- No perfumes, powder, or deodorant on the day of the exam. You will be asked to undress above the waist and wear a gown. Please wear a skirt or slacks to facilitate the change.
Picking up your images:
Your images are available on a CD (compact disk).
- CD’s are not prepared in advance.
- You may obtain a CD – Monday to Friday between 10 am and 5 pm
- CD’s are not available on Saturdays.